The Nigerian Army on Saturday announced the arrest of another wanted Boko Haram kingpin, bringing the number of those so far caught to three.
The latest arrest, according to the spokesperson of the Nigerian Army, Sani Usman, was made by the State Security Service (also known as Department of State Services, SSS).
Mr. Sani, a colonel, said in a statement Saturday, “Following the release of the poster containing photographs of 100 suspected Boko Haram terrorists, security agencies and the public have intensified search for them.
“The renewed zeal has been yielding the desired result as the Borno State Command of Department of State Services (DSS) has this morning arrested another suspected high profile Boko Haram terrorist, Danladi Abdullahi at Moduganari area of Maiduguri metropolis.
“Although he is still being investigated, it has been positively established that he is suspect number 26 on the list of the declared suspected Boko Haram terrorists issued by the Nigerian Army last month.
“The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, personally wishes to commend the DSS, especially Borno State Command, for this singular act, resilience and continued support and cooperation in the fight against terrorism and insurgency. The DSS has over times proven to be dependable and partners in the quest for a secured Nigeria.”
The arrest of Mr. Abdullahi brought to three the arrest of suspects in the Army’s wanted list.
Mr. Usman said the suspect was immediately handed over to the military intelligence for interrogation and prosecution.
A day later, the military released a statement announcing the capture of one Ishaku Wardifen, who it described as another suspected terrorists on its wanted list.
The Army said the wanted terrorist, suspected to be a Cameroonian, was arrested at a checkpoint in Adamawa State by vigilant troops of 23 Brigade Special Battalion at a checkpoint in Maiha, Adamawa State.
The Nigerian Army had on October 28 declared 100 top suspected Boko Haram terrorists wanted, and then released their photographs, made into giant posters, the following day.
Mr. Usman said at the time that the release of the photographs was to enable the public assist with information on them.
“We would also like to reiterate that the fight against this security menace is a collective responsibility, therefore, we shall continue to solicit for public’s support, cooperation and understanding as we finally quench the remaining dying embers of the Boko Haram terrorists in our country,” the Army said in its Saturday statement.
“We should all be more vigilant and security conscious to enable us all enjoy a better and more secure Nigeria.”