Customs boss dismisses sack reports

0

The Comptroller General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) has dismissed claims that he was laying off another 400 staff from the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).

Ali who was reacting to reports that more resignations loomed in the Service told newsmen on Monday in Abuja during a courtesy call on some agencies.

Media report had it that apart from 34 officers, who were retired last weeks, another 400 Customs staff were scheduled to leave the Service but Ali told newsmen: “You are telling me now. I don’t know about that.”

On whether its operations are being affected by the exit of staff, Ali said the Service will continue operations without missing the five Deputy Comptroller Generals (DCGs) and 29 other officers who resigned last week.

Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers

He said: “This is not where I address issues like that. We are doing restructuring. When I took over the leadership, I said it very clearly that my mandate given by Mr. President is to reform, restructure and raise revenue.

“In the course of restructuring, of course a lot of people have to go; certain things have to happen and this is one of them. We have a hierarchical process in the Customs. Therefore the absence of one does not stop work. What if I wake up tomorrow a dead person, will Customs cease to exist?”

Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.