The Ekiti couple who were kidnapped on Sunday, September 19, less than a week to their wedding, have regained their freedom.
LIB reported earlier that the lovers were abducted along Ilasa-Ekiti-Ayebode Road, in Ekiti East Local Government Area while returning to their base after purchasing some items for their wedding.
The couple who scheduled Friday, September 24 for their engagement and Saturday, September 25 for their wedding, were freed in a bush around the Ayedun area of Ekiti State on Thursday evening after payment of ransom.
A source told Punch;
“Their wedding activities were billed for Friday [today], which was for marriage engagement, while Saturday was for the wedding proper.”
Another source told the publication that the couple was devastated upon returning from the kidnappers’ den. The wedding has also been postponed.
The source said…
“I have not seen any of them since their return, but it is clear that they went through a lot. But we thank God for their safe return.
I cannot confirm yet whether any ransom was paid for their release or how much was paid because different figures are being touted around as the ransom paid. Some say N1m, others say N3m or so. I have no information on it.”
The State Police Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu also confirmed the release of the two lovers.
“Yes, they have been released. The release came after efforts from the Police, the military, Amotekun, vigilante group, and local hunters.
Immediately we got the report that they were kidnapped, the Police Commissioner, Tunde Mobayo, mobilized our men and officers to the surrounding forests,” adding that the security agents were working in conjunction with Amotekun Corps, local hunters and vigilante group combing the forests to free the victims.”
The police spokesperson also revealed that three suspects have been arrested in connection to the incident. They are being detained at the Police headquarters in Ado Ekiti and would be arraigned as soon as the investigation is concluded.