The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, has revealed the identity of the gunmen behind the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.
Recall that some gunmen had stormed the Catholic Church on Sunday, June 5 2022, killing no fewer than 40 worshippers and injuring many others.
Speaking during a media parley at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, Irabor said the gunmen responsible for the attack are members of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP).
The CDS disclosed that the suspects had been arrested and would be presented to the public after an investigation had been concluded into the matter.
He said, “Within the last time we met, we have recorded remarkable achievement. Let me bring it to your notice that within the same period, there have been ignoble actions of men of the underworld that have impinged on our collective well-being, namely the unfortunate train attack, the attack on Kuje correctional center as well as what has been reported in the past the attack on the presidential convoy.
“Also, the Owo incident which was intended to bring man and women of the armed forces to present them in a form and shape that make it to look as if the nation is on a siege. We have arrested those behind the dastardly act in Owo.
“It was my intention to present them to the public, but because of the investigation still going on, I had to change my mind. I will like to say that in due course, the world will see them and others who are behind other daring attacks in the country.”
Recall that the Federal Government had linked ISWAP to the terror attack in the ancient town.
The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, revealed this while addressing State House correspondents after a meeting of the National Security Council presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
According to the former Governor of Osun State, the federal government has located the terrorists responsible for the killing of worshippers in Owo.