Boko Haram: Army speaks on protesting soldiers

0

The Nigeria Army on Friday opens up on a purported protest set out upon by soldiers in Borno to request better weapons to battle Boko Haram.

There were reports of irregular shootings on Thursday night in Borno as soldiers protested their deployment to a location in the theatre of operation.

However, the Army, in its response denied there was a protest in Borno, yet conceded there was a gentle issue which was immediately tackled.

An assertion gave by Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima, Director Army Public Relations, said the consideration the Army base camp had been drawn to an unsubstantiated report going around on the mainstream media that soldiers of an unidentified battalion in Operation Lafiya Dole had protested their posting to a location in the Theatre of Operation.

The reports also claimed that the aggrieved soldiers, besieged the headquarters of the Theatre Command in Borno State, shooting sporadically into the air on Thursday to protests over alleged unpaid Operational allowances as well as obsoleted equipment.

“For the records, The Headquarters Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to state that the claims were unsubstantiated did not represent the true situation of the incidents,” it said.

The statement added that preliminary investigations by Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Farouq Yahaya revealed that what some media reports described as the protest was a mild complaint by few soldiers of the Mobile Strike Team (MST), deployed for Exercise Tura Takaibango in the frontline of Operations.

Trade Club

“At about 3 pm on 25 March 2021, some of the troops of Mobile Strike Team 10 & 11 who were primed to conduct phase 2 of Exercise TURA TAKAIBANGO in Bama after the first phase of the exercise, raised some concerns which were quickly addressed before they were relaunched to the second phase of the Operations.”

The Army added that soldiers, however, had the right to demand proper weapons to prosecute the war against Boko Haram.

“On the issue of ‘obsolete weapons’ as reported in some media, the position of Army Headquarters is that soldiers have right to demand proper weapons to prosecute the operations.

“However, the Federal Government was making concerted efforts toward deploying new fighting equipment to augment the existing ones in the Theatre of Operation,” the Army said.

The Army also denied report that any soldier was owed any operational allowances.

“No soldier has owned any Allowance in the Theatre. We shall continue to remain focused and determined to perform our constitutional roles and responsibilities professionally in the protection of the sovereignty of our nation and ensuring the safety of lives and property while we clear the terrorists, their cohorts, and collaborators in the country,” the statement said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.