4.3 C
New York
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
HomeNaija News‘We Will Not Release Him’ – EFCC Source Speaks On El-Rufai

‘We Will Not Release Him’ – EFCC Source Speaks On El-Rufai

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday held on to former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, marking his second night in custody at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja.

There were indications that the ex-governor might remain in detention longer if the anti-graft agency secures a remand order from a competent court.

A source within the commission who spoke with The Nation said El-Rufai underwent another round of questioning over his administration between 2015 and 2023.

The source said, “For hours we asked el-Rufai to respond to statement by his Commissioner for Finance, who had earlier appeared before EFCC.

“There are so many documents he has to surf, we will not release him. There are plans to secure a longer remand order from a competent court.

“There is no cause for alarm at all because el-Rufai has access to his lawyer and his rights are being protected.”

It was unclear which of his former commissioners for finance was interrogated.

During his two terms, Suleiman Abdu Kwari served as Commissioner for Finance from May 2015 to May 2019 before resigning to contest the Kaduna North Senatorial seat.

Mohammad Bashir Saidu was appointed in April 2019 as Kwari’s replacement and had earlier served as Chief of Staff to the governor.

DSS Files Charge, ICPC Set To Quiz Ex-Gov
Meanwhile, security sources said the Department of State Services (DSS) was set to take over El-Rufai for arraignment over alleged telephone tapping of the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The secret police have reportedly filed a three-count charge against the former governor at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

“The DSS wants to interact with the ex-governor ahead of his formal arrangement on a three-count charge,” a security source added.

In addition, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) is said to be preparing to interrogate El-Rufai over the ₦1.3bn failed Kaduna light rail project.

News360 Info recalls that El-Rufai presented himself at the EFCC headquarters on Monday for questioning over corruption allegations.

In a statement released by his media aide, Muyiwa Adekeye, he confirmed that the former governor honoured the commission’s invitation and engaged with investigators.

Adekeye said El-Rufai had a “frank and fruitful interaction” with EFCC officials, adding that his legal team described the conduct of the investigators as professional.

He noted, however, that the former governor remained with the commission after the engagement.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Onuegbu Chuks Theophilus on Mikel Obi quits Super Eagles
Thomas H. Anderson on Roman Goddess_3
Oladimeji Emmanuel on Obama sends investors to Buhari
Verified by ExactMetrics