The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has disclosed that over 1,000 Boko Haram suspects have been convicted for terrorism-related court cases in the last 18 months.
Malami made the revelation on Thursday during the monthly Ministerial Briefing organised by the Presidential Communications Team at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The minister disclosed that 312 convictions were secured in various other criminal cases within the last 18 months and 45 conviction were also secured by the Complex Casework Group, Maritime unit.
He said: “The ministry has so far secured over 1000 convictions on terrorism. Convictions have also been secured in 45 cases by the Complex Casework Group, Maritime unit, and the special task force on electricity offences and across the 13 zonal offices of the Ministry.”
He noted that his ministry, through the CCG unit, is coordinating the next phase of terrorism-related trials in collaboration with the federal high court, the Legal Aid Council, and the Defense Headquarters.
Malami also explained that his ministry has successfully filed an extradition proceeding against suspended DCP Abba Kyari in line with a Mutual Legal Assistance request from the United States of America.
He said: “My office has successfully processed over 350 Mutual Legal Assistance and 50 extradition requests including extradition proceedings against suspended DCP Abba Kyari from the United States of America.”