The Cable News Network has released another report on the #EndSARS protest focusing on the October 20, 2020 shooting by the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos.
This is coming less that 24 hours after Nigeria, through the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, wrote a protest letter to the international broadcaster, disputing the veracity of the report.
According to CNN in the report, titled: “Analysis of CCTV footage from Lekki toll gate raises new questions about shooting,” more videos had been obtained to corroborate its report that the Nigerian Army fired live bullets at protesters.
It said this was contrary to the position of the Army and Mohammed that live bullets were not fired.
It also said the footage from the CCTV at the tollgate presented at the panel set up by the Lagos State Government panned away the moment the shooting began.
The report said in part: “What is perhaps most notable is what’s missing.
“At 6:47 p.m., the moment when CNN has video of the army appearing to fire directly at protesters, the surveillance camera pans away from the area.
“The Lekki Concession Company (LCC), the firm that operates the toll gate in a public-private partnership, says its staff were sent home before an evening curfew, imposed by the State’s Governor, came into effect.
“The surveillance camera pans left and tilts up before reframing and struggling for focus. It is unclear if the camera pans away deliberately or whether the pan away is a poor choice by the CCTV operator.
“The LCC had previously testified at the panel on November 3 that the recording stopped at around 8 p.m. because it was tampered with.
“The surveillance footage once again raises questions about the investigation into what happened at the Lekki toll gate protest — and why surveillance video from the evening does not provide a more complete picture.
“In the aftermath of CNN’s investigation, the United States and the United Kingdom have called on Nigeria to ensure that its investigation is free and fair.”