28 C
Lagos
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
Subscribe to News360 Info by Email
Home News Metro 774,000 Jobs: NASS Suspends Recruitment Exercise

774,000 Jobs: NASS Suspends Recruitment Exercise

Global day of prayer with Rev Chris Oyakhilome

The programme was expected to take off in October this year.

The National Assembly on Wednesday announced the suspension of the Special Public Works programme under the National Directorate of Employment to cushion the effect of COVID-19 pandemic, The PUNCH reports.

The President, Muhammadu Buhari, had approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians under the scheme.

By the arrangement, 1, 000 Nigerians who would earn N20,000 each on a monthly basis for three months are expected to be recruited in each of the 774 local government areas, of the country.

The programme was expected to take off in October this year.

But the nation’s parliament on Wednesday said the programme has been suspended following the disagreement between it and the Minister of State for Employment, Labour and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, on Tuesday.

The spokesperson for the Senate, Ajibola Basiru, who announced the suspension of the programme at a press conference in Abuja, said the National Assembly has summoned the Minister in charge of the Ministry to appear before the federal legislature, to explain the recruitment modalities.

He said, “In view of the foregoing, the implementation of the programme shall be on hold pending proper briefing of the National Assembly by the Minister of Labour and Productivity.”

It will be recalled that the federal lawmakers on Tuesday, walked out the Minister of State for Labour, Employment and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, following his refusal to apologise after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.

The incident happened at an investigative hearing organised by the National Assembly Joint Committee on Employment, Labour and Productivity.

Members of the joint panel had summoned the Minister and the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment, Mr. Nasiru Ladan Argungu, to brief them on steps so far taken to recruit 774, 000 across the country.

Trouble started when lawmakers queried Keyamo for allegedly undertaking lopsided recruitment without the active involvement of the National Directorate of Employment, the agency that got N52bn approval from the National Assembly to implement the programme.

The argument that ensued afterwards, led to a shouting match between both parties which later degenerated to the forceful exit of Keyamo from the meeting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Viral Video Of Gov Yahaya Bello Watching BBNaija Grand Finale Sparks Outrage

Reactions have trailed the viral video of Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State watching the grand finale of the Big Brother naija...

Senator Elisha Abbo Loses, To Pay N50 Million To Woman He Assaulted At Abuja Sex Toy Shop

A federal High Court sitting at the Federal Capital Territory has awarded N50 million in favour of the woman assaulted by Senator...

Uber wins operating license battle in London

Uber has won its battle to continue operating in London, one of its biggest markets globally, after a judge found that the...

Nigeria may break up soon, Yemi Osinbajo raises alarm

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has raised the alarm that the country's unity is fragile as he warned that Nigeria may break up if...

Recent Comments