President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that the army may not completely win the war against Boko Haram insurgency by December 31.
He, however, said a lot of progress had been made by the military.
Buhari had earlier given the Armed Forces fighting Boko Haram in the North Eastern part of the country December 31 deadline to flush insurgency from the shores of the country.
Only recently, the President stated that the country had technically won the war on insurgency.
He said this during an interview he granted the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation.
According to Buhari, the terrorists themselves were aware that they could no longer take over communities and local governments like they did under the past administration.
He said, “If people are going to be fair to us, they themselves know that the Army is winning the war. You can no longer find any huge number of Boko Haram members in Adamawa and Yobe; only may be, in about three local governments of Borno in the area around our borders with Chad Republic. They are no longer in position to threaten the country, so we have won.”
Buhari further accused the immediate past President, Goodluck Jonathan of deliberately provoking Nigerian soldiers into committing mutiny and later turned round to arrest and prosecute them.
He alleged that Jonathan’s government in its fight against insurgency sent soldiers to war front without equipping them.
Buhari noted that his administration’s probe into the activities of the immediate past government revealed that funds meant for the procurement of arms for the soldiers were shared between some government officials and politicians.
“We investigated and discovered how funds that were pencilled down for arms procurement were diverted and shared by government officials who served the last administration.
“The government at that time sent the soldiers to the battlefield without arms and ammunition to prosecute the war. That was what led some of them to mutiny. They were arrested and detained because of this,” Buhari said.